BYOD iPad Program
From 2017 Students from Year 1 to Year 3 are invited to bring their own iPad to school every day.
The BYOD program is completely voluntary. Students who do not have their own device have some access to school iPads, however this may not be 1:1. These are used on a rotational basis between the Learning Areas and available as often as practical.
It is critical parents support their child’s learning by ensuring the iPad is sent to school each day, is fully charged, and has all the required Apps installed with updates regularly maintained. This process enables your child and the teacher to make the most use of these devices both at school and at home.
- Preferably an iPad Air 2
- 32GB minimum is recommended
- WiFi capabilities. 4G is not required and will not be used at school.
- iOS 10
If you have an iPad at home that meets these requirements please feel free to have your child bring this to school.
iPad Purchasing Portals
Families are free to make their own decisions about where to purchase their iPads. JB HiFi, Winthrop and Apple have special offers to buy through their portal for Churchlands Primary School families.
You may purchase your iPad via
JB HiFi using our school code CLPS2017 at
You may purchase your iPad via our unique parent purchasing portal through Winthrop Australia at
|You may purchase directly from Apple using a special code. Please click the logo to be taken to the store.|
In order to keep the iPad safe and well-protected, it is compulsory for all students to purchase an appropriate iPad cover. We strongly recommend adequate insurance coverage.
Accounts and Management
Safety with your iPad
- Our Internet connection at Churchlands Primary School is filtered through The Department of Education.
- Students will only be using Apps that are approved education Apps whilst at school.
- Parents may wish to set up an appropriate rating based on their family values and restrict content in the restriction setting selection on ipads.
School WI Fi and Internet connection
- Students’ iPads will be connected to the School’s Wi-Fi when at school.
- 3G/ 4G is not advisable and we will not allow it at school.
- A computer technician will be on hand to set up WiFi on the student’s device at the beginning of 2017. Once it has been set up it the wireless profile will be saved on the device and it will automatically connect to our WiFi each day.
Insurance and Protection
- You may wish to check with your home and/or contents insurer if your existing cover extends to an iPad being brought to school by your child.
- If you purchase your device through Winthrop Australia you may select insurance through Protectsure as an optional extra.
- All Apple hardware comes with a one-year limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary telephone technical support.
- It is recommended you extend your coverage further with the AppleCare Protection Plan.
In preparation for the commencement of the initiative, a list of Apps are required to be installed. The list is comprehensive and takes into account each of the Learning Areas, as well as the general Apps that will be used across the curriculum.
We recommend parents use their Apple iTunes account to purchase recommended apps or use an iTunes gift card to purchase the required core apps. From time to time you will be asked to install additional apps. Family sharing can be turned on at home to allow apps to be shared among devices in your home.
|2017 Churchlands iPad App List||Frequently Asked Questions|
Policies and Posters
Research & News Articles
UK - University of Oxford - Ergonomic Tips for Using iPads
Forbes – The American Academy Of Paediatrics Just Changed Their Guidelines On Kids And Screen Time
USA - iPad - Primary –
Queensland - iPad - Special Ed –
USA - iPad –
Common Sense Media