HOMEWORK SHOULD BE:
• Determined by individual class teachers according to the needs of their students.
• Create harmony in the home and not add to family stress.
• Related directly to the skills, knowledge and understanding being explicitly taught in the classroom.
• To practise and consolidate maths and reading skills.
• To give parent’s insight to what their child is currently learning at school.
• The amount of homework should allow children to participate in and benefit from a range of out of school activities.
• Voluntary and there cannot be a consequence for non compliance.
HOMEWORK SHOULD NOT:
• Be unrelated to the class program.
• Be given for homework’s sake.
• Be excessively time consuming.
• Be used to make judgements about individual pupil performance.
• Be given as a punishment or consequence for classroom behaviour or performance.
• Be used for reporting purposes.