Now in its 24th year, National Walk Safely to School Day (WSTSD) is an annual event when all Primary School children will be encouraged to walk and commute safely to school. It is a Community Event seeking to promote Road Safety, Health, Public Transport and the Environment. The event will be held throughout Australia on Friday 19 May 2023.
The objectives of WSTSD are:
- To encourage parents and carers to walk to school with primary school age children and reinforce safe pedestrian behaviour.
- To promote the health benefits of walking and help create regular walking habits at an early age.
- To ensure that children up to 10 years old hold an adult’s hand when crossing the road.
- To help children develop the vital road-crossing skills they will need as they become mature pedestrians.
- To reduce the car dependency habits that are being created at an early age and which will be difficult to change as children become adults.
- To promote the use of Public Transport.
- To reduce the level of air pollution created by motor vehicles.
- To reduce the level of traffic congestion.
On Friday 19 May 2023, we want you to participate in Walk Safely to School Day.
Don’t forget, all students walking to school, that day will receive a special tattoo!
Also, we have a lovely new cross-walk attendant on Cromarty rd, so take the opportunity to welcome Tracy into our community by saying a warm good morning on Friday!